This is my go-to meal when I want something spicy, "cheesy" and yet won't blow the calories for the day. It's sort of a combination of the Chile Rellenos Bake from Kalyn's website and Shannon's recipe which she posted on Slowtrav a few years ago. Kalyn's recipe is here: http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2008/10/recipe-for-chile-rellenos-bake.html
and Shannon's is here (need to be a Gold Member to see) http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/8566036302/m/458102518?r=458102518#458102518
It's delicious, low in fat, and very satisfying. You can make it vegetarian by simply leaving out the chicken. If you're not counting calories, add another 1/2 cup cheese to sprinkle over the top before baking. I'm going to make it for our new Year's Day brunch.
Baked Chile Rellenos Casserole
10 poblano chiles, roasted, seeded and peeled; or one large can prepared whole green chiles. (I've seen the cans at Whole Foods)
Cooking oil spray
2 zucchini, cut lengthwise and then into thin crescents
(optional--1 sliced sweet red pepper, cooked with the zucchini/onions)
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano
1 large can chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup shredded lowfat cheddar or monterey jack cheese (reserve 2-3 Tbs. of this for top)
1/2 cup shredded cooked chicken (optional)
2 eggs, beaten, or 1/2 cup eggbeaters (I use eggbeaters)
1. Spray a large skillet with oil. Cook the onion (optional red pepper) and zucchini until they soften and begin to brown. Stir frequently so they don't burn. Add the garlic, cumin and oregano and then the chopped tomatoes. Cook for 10-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and cook for another 10 minutes or so.
2. Spray a 8x8 shallow casserole with oil. Arrange one layer of chiles in the bottom.Sprinkle in half the shredded chicken and half the shredded cheese. Spread on just enough of the zucchini-tomato sauce to lightly cover. Repeat with a layer of chiles, chicken, cheese, and sauce.
3. Pour the eggs over the top, and tap a few times so some sinks to the bottom of the dish. Don't worry, as it will sink during baking. Sprinkle the reserved cheese on top.
4. Bake uncovered in a 375 oven for 30-40 minutes, until puffed and set. Let sit for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
5. Serve with salsa and lowfat sour cream or plain yogurt.