I got the following email yesterday...
"This came across my desk today and I thought of you. Wanted to send it along."
Are you tired of those sissy 'friendship' poems that always sound good, but never actually come close to reality?
Well, here is a series of promises that actually speak of true friendship.
You will see no cutesy little smiley faces on this card.
Just the stone cold truth of great friendships.
1. When you are sad - I will jump on the person who made you sad like a spider monkey jacked up on Mountain Dew!
2. When you are blue - I will try to dislodge whatever is choking you.
3. When you smile - I will know you are plotting something that I must be involved in.
4. When you're scared - we will high tail it out of here.
5. When you are worried - I will tell you horrible stories about how much worse it could be until you quit whining, ya big baby!
6. When you are confused - I will use little words.
7. When you are sick - Stay away from me until you are well again. I don't want whatever you have.
8. When you fall - I'll pick you up, dust you off, and try not to laugh until I make sure you are ok!
This is my oath... I pledge it to the end.
'Why?' you may ask - because you are my FRIEND!
Friendship is like peeing your pants,
Everyone can see it,
But only you can feel the true warmth.
Made me laugh! It is very silly, but also very true (I mean just look at #7 - replace "Stay away from me" with "Get the hell out of my office" and voilà, a sign of true friendship!)
This email also made me think "uh oh, Valerie never forwards emails like this, what is she softening me up for?!" I awaited a phone call along the lines of "sorry, but...something's come up and I can't make it tomorrow". But it seems the universe is smiling on us this time, as no call came, woohoo!!! Miraculously enough, we both have the day completely off, not a commitment in sight, so are planning to meet a couple other women for lunch, then heading off on our own to do something else...such as a mini roadtrip to the locally famous Margolians in Truro. She's meeting me here at my house in a couple hours, the sun is shining brightly (although it's gotten way cold again) and I am looking forward to a most wonderful day of friendship and fun and delicious fish & chips! (We are eating at the Legion, which apparently has "legendary fish & chips"...I'll let you know if they live up to their reputation.)