When I posted the map of Norway a few days ago, Annie made a comment saying that she didn't really know the scale of the country and that it was interesting to compare it with its neighbors. When reading that, my very technologically advanced boyfriend said he could make a graphic superimposing Norway atop a map of the US, to see the size in comparison. And here it is! As you can see, it is a long and narrow country, almost as long as the US East Coast. On the West Coast, it would cover the distance from San Diego to Seattle. Enjoy:
A few facts:
- Norway has 4.7 million inhabitants
- The country is slightly larger than the US state New Mexico
- It borders Sweden, Finland, and Russia
- The four biggest cities are Oslo (the capital), Bergen, Stavanger and Trondheim. They are the only cities with more than 100,000 people.
- Oslo has 573,388 inhabitants