As I’ve been reading a lot of blogs lately, I’ve been seeing many postings about something called Omnivore's 100. This started on the website www.verygoodtaste.com.uk. This site says there are 100 things they think every good omnivore should have tried at least once. You are to highlight the items you’ve had, and cross out any items that you would never consider eating. I was suprised- I have eaten all but 28 items on the list.
The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile-I’ve eaten alligator, but not crocodile
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp-yes, I grew up in Missouri
10. Baba ghanoush
12. Pho-love it!
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart
17. Black truffles
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes-blueberries, and I’m not sure what else.
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries-wild raspberries grow in our yard
23. Foie gras-I know it’s awful, but I love it!
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas-very addictive
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar-yes, WAY too much cognac, and too much of the cigar, and I hate to tell you for how many hours I was hanging over the toilet! DO NOT DO THIS!
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O-jell-o shots
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects-not sure if purposefully, but a couple of days ago ate a whole mosquito by accident
44. Goat’s milk-I was another of those infants allergic to cow’s milk and had to drink goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu-no, I wouldn’t try this one
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel-in sushi only
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin-had a boss who loved sushi, and told me sea urchin tasted like ice cream. Okay, soft texture, but awful! How he compared that to ice cream, I have no idea!
51. Prickly pear
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
60. Carob chips
62. Sweetbreads-can’t remember where, but it was on a tasting menu I had once
65. Durian-probably wouldn’t try-don’t think I could manage
66. Frogs’ legs-ate these quite a few times as a kid, but last time I ate them all I could picture was a green jumping frog
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill-hate to admit this one, but yes, I have. A friend gave me some moose that they harvested after it had been hit by a car. (It was all legal, authorities approved.)
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
79. Lapsang souchong-I think I might have had this, but not sure.
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky-bought this in the store tonight to try, since I look at it everytime I check out at the store. Very good-skinny little cookies that look like really thin breadsticks, dipped in chocolate or strawberry.
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.-unfortunately not, even though I have had the tasting menu at a few fabulous restaurants.
85. Kobe beef
88. Flowers-just put Nastursums on my salad tonight
89. Horse-our first meal in Italy, in Venice, the restaurant had horse meat pizza. I decided to pass.
90. Criollo chocolate
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee