Five new books arrived in the mail today from Chapters:
1. The Bridge; The Life and Rise of Barack Obama by David Remnick. This book should be a winner for two reasons. I've read two of Remnick's earlier books Lenin's Tomb and King of the World. He's an excellent researcher/writer and the subject of his current book is engaging. Very good reviews, too.
2. The Venus Fixers; The Remarkable Story of the Allied Soldiers Who Saved Italy's Art During World War II by Ilaria Dagnini Brey. Recommended by Doru on Slow Travel - sure it will be interesting.
3. About Alice by Calvin Trillin. I like Calvin Trillin's writing style and a lot of his topics. My favourite title is Travels With Alice.
4. Jazz Cleopatra; Josephine Baker in Her Time by Phyllis Rose. I'm going to the Dordogne this September. This book is part of my background reading.
5. The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson. I've read the first book by Larsson, The Girl Who Played With the Dragon Tattoo. He only wrote three before he died suddenly. Great books to read when you have chunks of time - like maybe on the airplane to France in September.