Rome Guide books and Street Maps
We have several modern Rome guide books distributed among the 4 members of our family who will be going to Rome. At least 2 are with our sons. Here is a description of the ones we have at hand.
1. AAA Spiral Guides ROME. This is our favourite series of guide books. We have used others in the series for the Algarve, Tuscany and Paris. I like the content, size, format and ease of use. The spiral binding permits flat opening of any page; the size fits easily into a jacket or back pocket; the information is logically arranged and attractively presented; street and transit maps are included. In addition there are several suggested walking tours as well as places to eat and shop. Whenever we are thinking about going somewhere we always check to see if a Spiral Guide is available.
2. City Secrets: Rome. Highly recommended by some reviewers, the size and content are OK, but the choice of typeface is poor and the visual impact is BORING. We will likely take it with us because of its size.
3. Rome eguide. A DK publication, this book was a gift. Colourful, slick, well-illustrated and a bit vacuous, this guide features a link to additional online content - more of the same. Much of the content is not relevant to us. Good maps. Perhaps someone will be bringing it along, but it won't be me.
4. Fodor's Rome. Pretty good guide - this one will come along.
5. Time Out Shortlist Rome 2007. The cover proclaims, "The slickest city guide publisher", so you know what you're getting. Up-to-date, well-organized, attractive and compact this one should appeal to our 20-something sons.
We will be bringing 2 street maps with us to Rome. Street Smart Roma and Streetwise Rome. Both are laminated and easy to use. The Street Smart map is more visually attractive, while the Streetwise map appears a bit more inclusive and better-organized. For example, when you flip to the other side of the Streetwise map the map is oriented OK, but with the Street Smart map you have to turn the map to read it. Both appear to be good choices.