Thank you Palma and Candi for giving me this award :D You are both FAB-U-LOUS!!
I have decided to go a different way in taking about things that I think are fabulous. I am in the midst of planning my 10th trip to Italy. I have been thinking a lot about how planning has changed in the past 10 years and how much more convenient things are now that the internet has become so popular.
So here goes...
5 Fabulous ways the internet has helped me with trip planning and travel:
1. Slow Travel. I cannot say enough about how my travels have changed since I discovered Slow Travel. Not only has Slow Travel become an important community in my life, but it is also a site where you will find a wealth of information on trip planning, hotel and vacation rentals, restaurant reviews, and experiences from other travelers. If you need to plan a trip, Slow Travel should be your first stop. One of the my favorite links on Slow Travel is Slow Travel Talk.
2. Blogging. Before being asked by Kim to start a Slow Travel blog (Kim you are Fabulous!), I created yearly trip blogs to share my travels with friends and family. After starting my blog, shave ice & gelato, the world of blogging changed. I began to get more comments, I started becoming brave enough to leave comments on other blogs, I made many fabulous friends through blogging, and I became part of a blogging community. Through this blogging community, I have found fabulous travel tips, ideas, recommendations, and even places to put on my wish list (if I ever can tear myself away from Italy).
I do have to give a special thanks to Dana of Stresa Sights for inspiring me to go to Stresa this year and for taking time out of her vacation in Stresa to check out a couple of hotels for me and to Kim of What I Really Think for asking me to start my blog and for coming to the rescue whenever I have had a blogging problem. There are so many other bloggers I also need to thank (too many to name) for helping me with my trip planning. Check out my sidebar where you will find a list of many fabulous bloggers/blogs to help you with your travel plans (listed under both "Blogs" and "Italy Blogs").
3. Hotel Booking Sites: There are many fabulous hotel booking sites out there that have made booking hotels a much easier task. These sites provide information about hotels, hotel reviews, and secure connections for your credit card information. Three of my favorites are: Venere.com and Booking.com and WorldBy.com.
4. Trenitalia. Trains have been my main means of transportation while in Italy. I would not have been able to plan my Italy trips without access to this very informative site. If you can read basic Italian, you might want to also check out the Italian version of Trenitalia, where you will find more train information. Because of the many train strikes in Italy, you will also need to keep informed about possible train strikes in order to travel successfully. The second most important train travel website you will need is a Strike (or Sciopero) website. Summer in Italy provides Italy strike information on not only trains but on all transport strikes taking place in Italy that may affect your travels.
5. Google. I know I have mentioned Google before, but for all other travel needs, google is the first place I go in search of websites and travel related information.
So there you have it, 5 Fabulous ways the internet has helped me with trip planning and travel.
I am supposed to also give a Fabulous award to 5 more blogs. I am having a difficult time choosing just 5 so I am giving my award to all the blogs on my sidebar. I think they are all FAB-U-LOUS!!