A few weeks ago we started doing a Sunday Slow Sides cooking group, focusing on ingredients from the summer's bounty. I've actually been making most of the recipes, just not posting. So I'll be catching up over the next few days. Unfortunately, I missed the first week which was a pea dish provided by Amy of Destination Anywhere called Petits Pois a la Francaise but someday I will get back to it.
Next up came Avocados from Shannon. She provided two recipes and gave us a choice:
Hard Boiled Egg
A Little Mayo
Onion Salt (or regular salt.)
Basically, smash these four things up until it is good and mashed. You can use more egg, more avocado, whatever. I think it is probably one avocado to 2 eggs. She says you don't need to add mayo even, unless you want to.
She used to put it on HomePride Buttertop bread for me which I adored because lets face it that is not really bread, it is junk food. Use whatever kind of bread you want. A hearty wheat would be good... or sourdough. And garnish with whatever you think would be good. My childhood memories has them unadorned, of course.
Because that is so simple here is another sandwich recipe to try, along with Grandma's (or instead of.)
Open-Face Avocado and Goat Cheese Sandwiches
Mary Sue Milliken & Susan Feninger
(from Saveur Magazine)
1) Mix 1 T. lemons juice with salt and pepper to taste in a bowl - stir well.
2) While whisking constantly, drizzle in 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil to form a dressing, set aside.
3) Put 4 oz. soft goat cheese, 2 T. lemon juice, 1/8 tsp. pepper, the flesh from 4 ripe avocados, and a few dashes of Tabasco in a bowl. Lightly mash with a fork, season to taste with salt.
4) Divide avocado mixture between 12 lightly toasted small baguette halves and spread to cover each.
5) Transfer baguettes to baking sheet and broil until just warmed through, 1 - 2 minutes.
6) Top with tomato and cucumber slices, and drizzle with dressing.
I opted for the first recipe and because I'm me, and because I'm on Weight Watchers, I made some adjustments.
Grandma's Avocado Mash
First I hard boiled 3 eggs, and used all three whites but only one yolk (for you WW people that's 2.5 points). Then I only used half of the avocado (another 2 points - but I probably should have used more), a little salt and a little smart beat mayo. Then I had 1/2 of the mixture on one of the new Thomas's Bagel Thins things (1 point) for a total of 3.25 (i rounded down) - 3 point sandwich. Oh, and I didn't have tomato in the house but wanted some, so I chopped a few grape tomatoes into the mash.
Shannon's Grandma's Avocado Mash