Unfortunately they are also somewhat toxic. Euphorbias have a white milky sap can cause reactions to skin, eyes and should never be ingested. Care should always be taken when working around Euphorbias as the milky sap can cause mild to severe dermatitis and blisters. The sap will also irritate the eyes so care should be taken not to rub your eyes. I always wear gloves and long sleeves when I work around this plant to prevent myself from getting any sap on my skin. They are also known as spurge and many are considered weeds in many areas.
So why do I love them? In the spring they bring a lovely chartreuse green with their blooms and foliage. The airy chartreuse blooms on the cover of Martha Stewart's gardening issue is a euphorbia The plants also provide nice structure in the garden from their spiky leaves.
Click through for more pictures: