« Arrival in Istanbul | Main | Sultanahmet »

Istanbul walking in the rain and food

Istiklal Caddessi

G and I fell right to sleep but woke several times. I slept through the morning call to prayer but G heard it. We finally got up about 9 am and got out to get supplies. First stop coffee. Around the corner is a local coffee roaster. We order cafe lattes and some ground coffee for the morning. It is called the Cherry Bean Coffees and it was just what we needed. Next we tried to find the grocery store. It was supposed to be in the 'ugly building' but didn't see it. So we headed down the street the Migros M-stop was to be located and found that store. We got some morning supplies for later this week. Then hauled them back up the 5 flights to the apartment and then headed back down for breakfast at Molly's Cafe.

Now to find Istiklal Caddesi. We headed up Galipdede Caddesi which is fascinating. The street is filled with stores selling musical instruments; many types of string guitar, lutes, and cymbals. We will become very familiar with this street over the next few days.

This street takes us up the hill to Tünel. Istiklal Caddesi starts here and runs for about a mile and half. It it pedestrian and lined with a variety of shops, restaurants. A charming old tram from early 1900's runs along the middle.

Unfortunately the rain had started. We wanted to buy a transit card for the next few days. They now have an electronic card that you can fill to use. It is also amazing the wide variety of restaurants along the street selling everything from greasy Turkish hamburgers, doner, shish kabobs to ethnic women rolling out dough for gözleme. But by now we are soaked and head back after stopping at Inci Pastanesi for a cream puff.

We picked up a couple of Efes beers and hang out. We almost call it a night but I convinced G to go out for dinner. I spied a good fish restaurant that I saw written up in Istanbul Eats - http://istanbuleats.com/2010/02/the-best-little-fish-house-in-galata-gets-a-bit-bigger/">Furreyya. We had a bowl of fish soup, a chopped tomato salad along with grilled fish, sea bream for me and sea bass for G. I loved the bream and the bass wasn't bad either. Total was 55 lira - not bad at all considering it was 37 for breakfast.

We headed back up Galipdede Caddesi to explore Istiklal Caddesi at night since the rain had stopped for a bit. We explored the alleys of Asmali Mecit and Nevizade with the restaurant hawker trying to entice us in for a meal. Some places were packed and other really empty. Most of the ones in the guide books were pretty full.

We also stopped for some turkish ice cream at Mado. This ice cream is made from goats milk and thicked with the root of orchids. It was quite good. Mado has a nice selection also. We had pistachio and chestnut. I had to have chestnut because the streets have been lined with carts selling hot chestnuts.

The rain started again and we headed back. Our first full day in Instanbul.

Some street and food scenes

Music store in Galata
Music store in Galata

Taksim tram

Taksim tram

Transport in the rain

Galata street scene
Street in Galata

Fashions in Galata
Fashion in Galata

Istiklal Caddessi
Istiklal Caddessi at night

Profiterole  Inci Pastanesi
Profiterole from Inci Pastanesi

Rolling gözleme
Rolling gözleme

Turkish delight
Turkish delight

Fish market

Fish Market

Sea Bream for dinner
Sea Bream for dinner

Comments (4)

Marta, I enjoyed your post and especially your photos. Sorry about the rain! Your post brought back memories of a special day during our trip this summer. We took the funicular to Taksim Square and walked down İstiklal Caddesi to the tower, cutting down on the street with all the musical instrument stores! I loved that little street! Looking forward to more posts and photos!

Istanbul is high on my wish list so I'm going to enjoy following along with you guys. Have fun!

Kathy (Trekcapri):

Hi Marta,

Your photos are really wonderful. Istanbul sounds and looks like an interesting city and the images you captured reflect it. I am fascinated to learn more through your posts. Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us.

Keep on having a wonderful time.

Glad you made it there OK, with relatively few hassles.

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures!

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on October 10, 2011 8:12 PM.

The previous post in this blog was Arrival in Istanbul.

The next post in this blog is Sultanahmet.

Many more can be found on the main index page or by looking through the archives.

Powered by
Movable Type 3.33
© 2004 - 2014 Slow Travel