We never tire of returning to the peaceful oasis and the refinement of this Benedictine abbey! Its location, remoteness, architectural refinement and permeating sense of sprituality speak to our souls and satisfy our craving for remarkable places of great artistic interest so close to home.
approaching the area of the abbey
the rose window
one of the graceful Gothic "bifore"
the rose window reflected
"Located in the town of Preci, a small and well-conserved historic center, the interesting complex is optimally maintained, the plants that adorn the courtyard and other outdoor spaces with climbing roses, hydrangeas, and other flowers, kept in an admirable way, putting even more emphasis on the beautiful, local clear stone used in its construction. The complex is born around an original oratory from the 5th century founded by Syrian monks, and it seems that it was frequented by Benedict of Norcia in his youth, who considered the monks to be his spiritual fathers.
"Since the beginning of the Abbey, it has taken advantages of many privileges, exercising its political and religious power on a large territory, thanks to the concessions of the Empire and the Church and for a long time was the main center of activity for the town of Preci and was home to an important medical and surgical school, very well-known even abroad. In 1236 the church was completely reconstructed, taking on the appearance that we see today.
On the inside we admire the crypt, its vaults are supported by columns perhaps belonging to the original oratory, and the presbytery, at the center of which an elegant little shrine contains the remains of Saint Eutizio."
some "borrowed" official information on the abbey
the second "cortile" with its Longbard fountain and stone steps leading up to the abbey orchard
the bell tower built on the rocks
admiring the second courtyard