Smoked Salmon is the "secret ingredient" this week, and MarciaB of Happy Trails for Us: My Reluctant Blog picked it for us.
I found my recipe on the Food Network website. It was from the kitchen of Giada De Laurentis, one of my favorite TV cooks. Mario Batali is probably my favorite, but he isn't as pretty as Giada!
Anyway, this is a recipe that can be used as an appetizer or as a brunch dish - you decide. Here is Giada's recipe.
Smoked Salmon and Apple Carpaccio
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis - Food Network
Prep Time: 5 min
Inactive Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 12 min
Serves: 4 to 6 servings
* 6 (1/4-inch thick) slices rosemary or olive bread, quartered
* 6 ounces Nova Scotia smoked salmon
* 1 small green apple, such as Granny Smith, halved and cut into very thin slices
* 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and drained
* Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
* Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Place the bread on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until lightly brown and crisp. Cool to room temperature, about 10 minutes.
Arrange the smoked salmon in a single layer on a serving platter. Lay the apple slices on top. Sprinkle the capers over the salmon and apple slices. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with the toasted bread.
We had this for brunch this morning and it was yummy. As you can see, there is also a smoked salmon dip, which I had made before. Keep reading for the bonus recipe!
Here are my ingredients:
And our brunch plate:
This recipe also came from Food Network, this time from Barefoot Contessa.
Smoked Salmon Spread
Barefoot Contessa Family Style 2002 - Food Network
* 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
* 1/2 cup sour cream
* 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
* 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish, drained
* 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (I left out the salt this time)
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1/4 pound (4 ounces) smoked salmon, minced
Cream the cheese until smooth. Add the sour cream, lemon juice, dill, horseradish, salt, and pepper and mix. Add the smoked salmon and mix well. Chill and serve. It is good with raw veggies or with crackers or bread.