« Our Last Night in Italy | Main | Re-entry »

The LONG Way Home

We were up at 5:30, and in the car (with no coffee) by 6:25. The first problem was that the electronic gate in the parking area of Villa Barone would NOT open. No staff came to work until 7:00. We needed to leave by 6:30 to allow enough time to get to the Rome airport. Brad angrily managed to manually open another gate which then required him to do some difficult backing out of the parking area, turn around in an impossibly tight spot, and literally drive across the breakfast room terrace area to get out. THAT wasted 15 minutes and raised both our blood pressure, as we had asked the day before about our early departure!

Brad made up the time, and there was little traffic on a Saturday at that early hour, so he drove VERY fast through the Chianti hills, while I silently tried not to get carsick, and prayed for an Autogrill on the Autostrada where I could down a cappucino or two! When we were an hour from Rome, we had a 10 minute stop with a bathroom break, and a most delicious coffee and a Coke Light.

Brad dropped me off with all the luggage, and returned the rental car. That took 20 minutes, and gave me a chance for my last smoke. When he returned, we got into THIS line at Delta:


That line didn't move for over an hour. We boarded 30 minutes late, then sat on the runway for an hour and a half. I slept through most of that and missed takeoff. We landed two hours late in Atlanta, but still had 2 hours and 15 minutes before our flight to Ontario. We were hopeful. We lost the 15 minutes when there was another plane at our assigned gate. Luggage took over an hour to come out. Our Ontario flight left before we even went through customs. Everyone's connection left, so we joined the line of 200 grumpy people who needed to be re-ticketed. Delta was NOT on top of things.


We had landed at 6:30 p.m.. At 11:45, we had new ticket's on tomorrow's first flight to Ontario, two $7 vouchers for "dinner" (although most of the airport restaurants had closed), and a hotel voucher for "Country Inn". We had a choice of Wendy's or a sandwich place. Two sandwiches, a coke and a coffee put us over our limit. We arrived at our hotel at 1:15 a.m. for 4 hour nap before returning to the airport at 6:30 a.m.. At least we had a shower.

Our flight to Ontario was uneventful, and I napped some more. I got all our luggage, while Brad picked up the rental car, and we arrived at home early in the afternoon. Ego was very glad to see us, and the housesitter left everything clean. We tried to stay awake, but took a nap that lasted three hours, then went to bed for the night at 11:00. THIS is the hard part of travel. But every hour spent in Bella Italia is worth it. We forget this part. We remember every lovely hour in Italy!

Comments (3)


OMG, what a nightmare trip home! We endured something similar on our last trip, spending the night in SFO because we missed our connection.

But to start off the day with a locked gate - yikes!

All of those Italian memories (foodm wine, amazing vistas, and good company) were worth it though!


Palma - have loved travelling through Italy in your back pocket. Thanks for a fun blog.

Your poor feet -- time to start using compression knee highs on long flights, girlfriend! It really does help.

I am left with one important question, though -- how the h@#@ did you manage to take the picture of the BACK of your legs? Brad is still in Pasadena, right? Is Ego a very talented poodle???


Barbara Lewis:

Hi: I really enjoyed your blog about Italy. We went to Italy in October 2005 and leave on August 12 for our second trip. I was particularly interested in getting information about the bead shop you mentioned in Bologna. And, do you have any recommendations for places on Murano to buy beads. I am a potter by training, but I also make jewelry and have been learning to make flameworked beads. Any information you can provide, would be greatly appreciated.

You certainly have a great sense of fashion. I enjoyed seeing your outfits w/appropriate beads, etc. I'll look forward to hearing from you soon. Thanks a lot. Barbara Lewis

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on July 22, 2007 5:48 AM.

The previous post in this blog was Our Last Night in Italy.

The next post in this blog is Re-entry.

Many more can be found on the main index page or by looking through the archives.

Powered by
Movable Type 3.33
© 2004 - 2014 Slow Travel