This VERY simple garnish, takes less than 5 minutes, can be done ahead, and lasts for days! Here is the step-by-step:
It takes about 6-7 dried apricots for each rose. Choose plump ones for best results.
1. Cut each apricot in half down the side, with a small sharp knife.
2. Lay apricots halves on a sheet of waxed paper (or parchment paper). Fold paper over to cover, and roll flat with a rolling pin.
The halves will become the "petals" of the rose. The cut side is the "stickier side".
3. Take the smallest "petal" and make the center of the rose. Hold it tightly with one hand.
4. Add a petal at a time, using "sticky" side to overlap around the center of the rose.
5. When rose is the size you want, stick a toothpick through the bottom (where your fingers were holding it together) and set it in the freezer for 30 min (or up to 3 days) on a paper plate. I think they look nice in a cluster of three. I add lemon leaves, and use them to garnish a platter or plate.
Enjoy the "Ohhhs and Ahhhs"!