Breakfast Sunday was a big hit with Shannon's recipe for Eggnog Panettone Bread Pudding! We served it with sausage and citrus salad (orange slices tossed with maple syrup and sprinkled with coconut).
One 1 1/2 pound box panettone, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes (about 8 cups)
6 large eggs
1/3 c. baking sugar
4 c. eggnog
1 T vanilla
1 t. pumpkin pie spice
powdered sugar for garnish
1) one day before preparing the pudding, place the panettone cubes on a baking sheet and let stand at room temp. overnight, or until the cubes are dried out.
2) The next day, butter a 9 X 13-inch baking dish. Arrange the cubes in the dish.
3) In a large bowl, beat the eggs with an electric mixer on medium speed or a whisk until frothy. Add the baking sugar and beat for 3 mintues, or until thick and light lemon colored. Add the eggnog, reduce speed to low, and beat to combine. Add the vanilla and spices and mix.
4) Ladle the eggnog mixture over the panettone cubes, using your fingers, if necessary, to distribute the ingredients evenly. Cover with foil and refridgerate overnight.
5) The next morning remove the dish from the fridge one hour before baking and preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Use a wooden spoon to push the cubes downand evenly distribute the eggnog mixture. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Open the oven door and wearing heavy oven mitts, push the panettone down with a wooden spoon. The remaining liquid will rise. Spoon it evenly over the cubes. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes more or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out barely clean. Let rest 10 minutes, then sprinkle with powdered sugar.