Desperate times call for desperate blogging. This is an old topic, one which many others have already covered: 100 things about me.
However, in my own twist, I'm going to break it into two parts. That means 50 things today, 50 things tomorrow. This is because I don't have a lot of blog topics left in me. Plus, 100 things is a lot of things to think of at one time! So, here goes.
1. I'm quite tall, 5'9.
2. Being tall means I have long feet.
3. I try to make myself feel better about that, by describing them as "long, elegant feet."
4. It's very hard to find shoes that fit, when you have long elegant feet.
5. So, I can't buy shoes in Italy, where women seem to mostly have short, elegant feet.
6. But I can always find gloves in Italy for my long, elegant hands.
7. I can also always find nice, long, elegant handbags in Italy.
8. If it isn't already apparent, I love Italy.
9. I would like to live in Italy, if I could find a good job there, or marry a wealthy man who could support me until I find a good job.
10. I love to travel.
11. I've traveled in China, Turkey, several parts of Europe, including England, Germany, France, Austria.
12. I've also traveled in Mexico, Cuba, several parts of the United States.
13. But I've become fixated on Italy and travel there as often as I can.
14. I was the first person in my family to attend University.
15. I studied political science and economics, although my favourite classes tended to be art history and literature.
16. I'm now studying French and Italian.
17. I love to read, and have to read at least one hour every night, to change my mind, or I can't fall asleep.
18. I can read books that I like more than once.
19. I can also watch favourite movies over and over again, so long as some time has elapsed between viewings.
20. I loved the Harry Potter books and the movies.
21. I also love Pedro Almodovar's movies, and Volver may be one of my favourite films of all time.
22. But anything by Mel Brooks is also appealing. Blazing Saddles is a classic.
23. I also like western movies, and consider The Searchers to be a true classic.
24. I'm interested in the history of war and Kenneth Branagh's Henry V is another classic (but not the Laurence Olivier version of Henry V.)
25. I am deathly afraid of all birds, except robins.
26. I am also afraid of, and filled with hate towards, clowns. All clowns.
27. I'm not really comfortable with fire, either.
28. I earn my living as a writer but I can't stand to talk about writing, as a craft.
29. It drives me crazy when people want to parse writing styles and discuss how they write.
30. That might be because I was a reporter for 20 years and that job would make anyone cynical.
31. I quit reporting 18 months ago because I was becoming so cynical.
32. I go to the gym most days, and secretly judge what other people are wearing, to amuse myself with I run out of things to read..
33. I usually wear tattered t-shirts and yoga pants when I work out.
34. I look dreadful when I work out because I sweat like a farm animal.
35. I live in a very large, Art Deco apartment that is ruinously expensive.
36. But it has two bedrooms, a den, a formal dining room, hardwood floors and windows on three sides. I love it.
37. But I don't own my own washing machine, although I very want to have one.
38. I hate riding bicycles and don't enjoy racquet sports.
39. I do like to cross-country ski, and to hike in the mountains.
40. I grew up in west central Alberta, in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.
41. When I was a child, my family would go camping in the mountains every time my father would take a holiday from his business.
42. Because he had a small trucking business, and therefore owned trucks, he would throw kids, tents, the Coleman cooler in the gravel box of a truck and away we'd go, into the mountains.
43. My favourite thing when I was a child and we were camping, would be to wake up in the morning, and look out the tent flap to see my Mom making coffee on the Coleman stove.
44. She would always put her clothes on over her P.J.s and stay that way, until after breakfast when the sun was high enough to warm her. I'd do the same.
45. She'd let my younger brother and me drink a little bit of hot coffee (with a lot of canned milk!) with our breakfast when we were camping.
46. I still love coffee, although camping has lost much of its appeal.
47. I still love the mountains and try to get out even for a day, when I'm back in Alberta to visit my family.
48. My dad died two years ago. But even in his final days, when I would come to visit, he loved it when we would go for an afternoon drive out into the mountains, even if it was just a few hours.
49. I've lived in Calgary twice, and would love to live there again.
50. I also lived one year in Lethbridge, in the extreme southeast of Alberta, and it is beautiful in a different way. It's pretty bald prairie until you reach the Rockies which immediately rise up from the land -- very abruptly. No foothills that far south!