I've been inspired by Palmabella's list of some of the things she intends to do when she visits Rome later this month. ("When in Rome...." at http://www.slowtrav.com/blog/palma/)
It's a fabulous list of wonderful things that Palma has in mind -- written, actually, with the conviction of resolutions. And I long to do any one of them (including hanging out with her husband Brad, drinking wine at Cul du Sac, which is such a great wine bar)
While I can't do any of the things on Palma's list right now (especially hanging out with Brad!) I can still dream. My next trip to Italy isn't coming up quite as fast as Palma and Brad's trip, but it's coming.......eventually.
So, here is MY list of things I intend to do when I return to Umbria in September.
1. I WILL eat FRESH pecorino cheese every single day. With local honey as often as possible.
2. I WILL eat gelato at Perugia's Antica Gelateria Veneta, which is near the top of the wonderful Corso Vannucci. Last year, I had gelato exactly once during my week in Perugia. Clearly, I wasted too much time counting calories from my pecorino intake.
3. I WILL restrict myself to counting calories and worrying about weight gain only ONCE per day, during a five-minute window each morning. Then, I will cut myself off from worry over my weight for the rest of the day.
4. I WILL eat a pastry at the lovely Sandri's, an elegant and famous bar in Perugia with amazing pastries and good coffee. Besides a wonderful, large outdoor bar smack in the centre of the Corso Vannucci, Sandri's has fantastic window displays of their artisan work. Last year, I sat and drank cappuccinos while envying others their pastries. This year, I will eat something gorgeous as well as swill coffee!
5. I WILL spend a full day in San Francesco in Assisi, so I can really closely look at the amazing art -- particularly the frescos -- all through this amazing basilica.
6. I WILL make the most of my 3-day car rental and drive from my Bevagna base to: Montefalco, Spello and the Piano Grande.
7. I WILL, in Montefalco, see the Benozzo Gozzoli frescos of the Life of Saint Francis.
8. I WILL, in Spello, see the Pintoricchio frescos in the Baglioni chapel.
9. I WILL be careful with the rental car and not fill a diesel engine with regular gasoline, or vice-versa.
10. I WILL buy ceramics. Too often, I cheap out and am filled with regret once I return home over opportunities missed. I have loved every item I have ever bought in Italy, since each one reminds me of a wonderful time and place.
11. I WILL make a thoughtful list of what ceramics I wish to buy BEFORE I leave home, so I'm not floundering in stores and then have an excuse to flee. Perhaps 8 dinner plates and a large serving dish/platter.
12. I WILL take more photos of all kinds, which will be much easier now that I have a proper camera.
13.. I WILL visit all the churches I missed in Assisi last year, because of the Pope. Not that I'm blaming him (bygones!)
14. I WILL take another cooking class with Letizia (who promises this one will focus on her family recipe for lasagna.
15. I WILL get up early enough to see the sunrise at least ONCE.
16. I WILL buy fresh flowers for my hotel room -- especially in Perugia where I will have an entire week.