Trip Reports Home | My Trip Reports | Create Trip Report | Recent Reports | Search Trip Reports

> SlowTrav > Trip Reports

Report 1981: Megaliths, Parish Closes and Cider - Part 2 Morbihan

By Eleanor from UK, Fall 2011

Previous Page   |   Next Page

Page 25 of 27: Quelven and Guememe-sur-Scorff

photo by MAW

Chapelle Notre-Dame-de-Quelven

Quelven is a delightful small settlement with a bread oven, long rows of stone houses and some more substantial houses. Chapelle Notre-Dame-de-Quelven was begun in 1470 by orders of the Rohan family and finished in 1590. In 1760 a sacristy was added at the east end and the tower was reconstructed in the 19thC. It is a very attractive church. There is a carved wooden frieze around the top of the walls. There are three altars at the east end and old wooden choir seats with carved misericords on the end wall behind the altar. There is a splendid organ above the west door with painted wood angels playing a harp and blowing a trumpet. There is an unusual statue of the Virgin Mary which opens up into three pieces covered with paintings. (It was firmly closed.) There are many old statues on the walls including one from 1350 of St George killing the dragon, St Francis with a wolf and St Anne and the Virgin Mary with a child. There is a 15thC alabaster carving of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary

Guémemé-Sur-Scorff is an unspoilt little market town with a main street lined with small shops. At the bottom of the town is a large and splendid Hotel de Ville, in a building described as the new château. The town had been the seat of the Dukes of Rohan from the 13-15thC and you can still see part of the town wall with one gateway near the Hotel de Ville. The Bains de la Reine have been excavated. These look a bit like a small Turkish bath with two stoke holes and wooden slats in the floor with a bench to sit on. There was a small exhibition about the medieval town and château which was demolished and the stones used for building. There is a small plain modern church without a tower, although there may have been a separate belfry above the calvary. Inside was bare stone walls with no pillars in the nave. Wooden pillars support a balcony at the west end. The east end was rounded with a simple high altar with crucifix behind.

Previous Page   |   Next Page

Back to Top

Car Rental Hotel Booking Flight Booking Train Tickets Books, Maps, Events
Europe Cell Phones Long Distance Cards Luggage, etc. Travel Insurance Classifieds

* Advertise on Slow Travel | Post your travel questions on the Slow Travel Forums

Copyright © 2000 - 2014 SlowTrav.com, unless noted otherwise. Slow Travel® is a registered trademark. Contact Slow Travel

RSS Feeds - Link to Us - Disclaimer - Privacy Policy - Currency Converter - Colophon - Sponsors - Become a Member
Home | Forums | Slow Travel? | Europe Trip Planning | Photos | Trip Reports | Search | About Us | Classifieds