Travel slowly, staying in vacation rentals (villas, farms, cottages, apartments)
Report 2012: Five Days in Malta
By Eleanor from UK, Spring 2012
Page 15 of 24: Mdina - St Paul's Cathedral
Marble memorial slabs on the nave floor
This is thought to have been built on the site of a Roman Villa belonging to Publius where St Paul healed the Governorís father and converted Publius to Christianity. The original building was destroyed in the 1693 earthquake and the present building was finished 1702. It has a simple facade with two bell towers and two clock faces. One tells time, the other the date. The red dome is visible across much of Malta, but not from the front of the church.
Tickets are bought from the museum, across the square from the cathedral in the 18thC palace. This has now extended into another building next door. We skipped the museum having read it was a collection of coins, silver plate, manuscripts and religious paintings.
Entry to the Cathedral is through the side door where the person checking tickets was more interested in talking to a colleague than welcoming visitors. Not the best of starts.
When we visited, the inside of the Cathedral was covered in red damask drapes which were being hung up using a cherry picker. They are put up twice a year at Christmas and for Corpus Christi and the festival of St Peter and St Paul. They are then removed and put away again.
The floor is covered with marble memorial stones, some quite recent. Many had cardinals hat.
The nave is lined with massive round arches flanked with pillars of red marble flecked with white. The carved tops are painted gold. Grey and gold bands above form a border above the arches. The wooden pulpit has a small carved wooden crucifix standing on it and there are wooden confessionals scattered around the cathedral. Windows in the nave and dome are plain glass with elaborately carved gold canopies over them.
The side aisles are made of sandstone blocks with plain domes and a series of side altars. In May 2012, work was being done on the nave ceiling and part was boarded over. The rest of the nave ceiling and the dome are covered in paintings.
There is a small plain mass table with large altar behind with silver candlesticks and a canopy suspended above. Behind this are wooden choir stalls and a big wooden stand for holding the choral book with music. The rounded apse is a survival from the original church with paintings of St Paulís shipwreck on Malta on his way to face trial in Rome. On the back wall is a large painting of the conversion of St Paul.
There are large altars at the ends of the side transepts. These have a smaller chapel off on either side of the chancel. There are organs above the entrances to both. The right hand chapel was shut off by iron grille gates. Those on the left, the Chapel of Blessed Sacrament, were open. This has a beautiful decorative silver front to the altar and a large silver box for the host. Above is a beautiful small 13thC icon of the Madonna and Child in a very decorative frame. The walls are covered with red and gold patterned damask. The ceiling is grey and gold with paintings.
|Car Rental||Hotel Booking||Flight Booking||Train Tickets||Books, Maps, Events|
|Europe Cell Phones||Long Distance Cards||Luggage, etc.||Travel Insurance||Classifieds|
Copyright © 2000 - 2014 SlowTrav.com, unless noted otherwise. Slow Travel® is a registered trademark. Contact Slow Travel